Find an appropriate adult

Organised schemes

A person who requires an appropriate adult has the right to have someone they know (such a parent, partner or carer). 

As an alternative, there are appropriate adult schemes. These are organised locally. If you want to find out more about schemes in your area, you can use our Network Map.

Referrals to organised appropriate adult schemes are usually made via the police. This is because the police are legally responsible for deciding who needs an appropriate adult. If you feel you need to get an appropriate adult for yourself, or for someone you know, you should tell the police why an appropriate adult is needed (see Who do appropriate adults support?). The police should have the contact details for the local organised scheme.

Please note that NAAN does not provide appropriate adults.

No schemes in your area?

Not all AA schemes are a member of NAAN. If our Network Map does not show any schemes in your area, you should contact your local authority (council). 

For children

Local authorities have a legal duty under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 (s.38) to ensure provision of an AA for children via their Youth Offending Team (YOT). Those operating to National Standards will be able to provide trained, vetted AAs. If we do not have a member organisation in your area click here to contact your local Youth Offending Team.

For adults

Some areas do not have appropriate adult provision for vulnerable adults as nobody is legally required to provide it. However, in many areas organised services exist supported by a range of commisioners and funders. You may wish to contact the local authority adult social care team in your area. 

Download Free Designs Free Websites Templates

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

View Privacy Policy

You have declined cookies. This decision can be reversed.

You have allowed cookies to be placed on your computer. This decision can be reversed.